This will likely be one of those articles that offends and bothers some, but as a coach and consultant for businesses around the country, as well as one who was a Hubspot client long before I endeavored into the world of coaching, it’s not my job to tell people what they want to hear. For better or for worse, it’s my job to tell people, and companies, the truth—even when it may sting a little.
Such is the case with inbound marketing and Hubspot. Considering both have exploded in popularity over the past year or so in the business world, the subject of the efficacy of HS has been one of significant discussion and at times debate. But to be completely honest, HS doesn’t always work. In fact, it doesn’t work at all for many businesses. Here’s why:
10 Reasons Why Hubspot won’t work for your business:
1. You Don’t ‘Get’ Blogging: What do I mean by this? Simple: Any business owner who has ever said, “I just don’t have time to blog” has no clue. In other words, he doesn’t ‘get’ it. He doesn’t understand the effects of great content on SEO. He doesn’t understand the power of educational marketing to build trust and brand awareness with consumers. Nope, he just ain’t getting it.
2. You Don’t Utilize the Analytics on a Daily Basis: I tell all HS clients that they must spend at least 10-20 minutes a day looking at the incredible analytics HS provides. Whether it’s traffic sources, page views, blog subscribers, etc; business owners must have a constant feel as to the traffic and patterns of their website—something that is only possible through the constant study of analytics.
3. You Expect Magic Overnight: There is a reason HS requires most new companies to pay 6 months in advance. Why? Because if they didn’t, many near-sighted business owners would be wondering why their traffic hadn’t increased 10-fold after the first week. Inbound marketing is an investment. It’s a culture. It’s the antithesis of flipping a house in real estate, yet that’s what many business owners think they’re getting. Again, 6 months is the minimum commitment time for anyone serious about making HS and inbound marketing work for their business.
4. You’re Not Thinking Like a Consumer: I mentioned this earlier but so many business owners think just like business owners. This is a HUGE mistake. The best inbound marketers are the ones that know what questions consumers ask about their products and then they write content and produce videos that will answer those questions in a way the consumer actually understands them. Such a paradigm shift can take some time, but once a business owner and/or marketer understand this important phenomenon then everything will change for the better.
5. You’re Not Giving the Necessary Time Each Week to Inbound Marketing: Whether it’s participating on forums, writing blog posts, making a tremendous YouTube video, or optimizing a web page; inbound marketing and HS will take time. There is just no way around this. That’s why we at Biz Buffs always tell clients they either find the time/people to dedicate to doing HS the right way, or they don’t do it at all. Remember, the ONLY companies that fail with the HS product are the ones that don’t make proper time and approach to the system.
6. You Don’t Follow Inbound Marketing Best Practices: Whether it’s having a lead capture form on every page of your website, writing a blog article at least twice a week, or even properly optimizing page titles; many companies just don’t follow the general rules of great inbound marketing. And what is the result? Little love from the search engines, less love from consumers, and no love in terms of making sales.
7. You Have No Plan: Inbound Marketing isn’t something that happens by itself. As an example, if I coach a business just starting with HS, we’ll always brainstorm 6 months worth of blog articles, titles, and who is going to write said articles within that company. This plan is written down and is considered doctrine. In other words, it becomes a part of the identity of the company forever. I say this without exaggeration and can’t stress its importance enough—Have a plan.
8. You Don’t See the Forest through the Trees: Let me give an example of what I mean by this statement. My swimming pool company uses the HS medium package. It costs 9k a year. Some people might look at that as a lot of money. But when one considers the fact that we sell well over 30-40 pools a year due to the organic traffic we get from HS and all the great content we’ve produced, everything looks quite different. In other words, we spend 9k a year to garner about 1.6 million in sales……How ‘bout them apples?
9. You Don’t Ask for Help: HS has set up tremendous tools to help all clients. Whether it’s training videos, the community forum, or one of their specialized consultants; the help is there if you’ll just take advantage of it.
10. You’re lazy: Most consultants would not have included this one in such a list because of the fact that it offends people. Actually, the truth is such a statement only offends lazy people. Like anything in life, HS can be an absolute godsend for one company and a waste of money for the next. And what was the difference? Sadly, more often than not, it just comes down to drive, discipline, and laziness. There’s just no other way to say it.
So there are 10 reasons why Hubspot won’t work for your company……Or maybe, just maybe, there are 10 reasons why ‘yes’, Hubspot is absolutely the right fit for you, your vision of marketing, and the goals you’ve for the future of your business’ success.